Secret Shopper

 

I went to a local library and asked the librarian to help me find some books of a few different genres. I told her I needed particular help finding science fiction, which she told me was the one genre she didn’t read, but she could get a recommendation from her coworker. I ended up asking her what her favorite genre was and she said historical fiction. I let her know I needed to read one of those as well, and she led me to a book in the shelves that she liked - The Kitchen Front by Jennifer Ryan. Her coworker’s science fiction recommendation was Ender’s Game, which seems like a fairly basic recommendation to me, but it fits the brief. 

This librarian was really nice and she recommended me some books that were in the genre I was looking for, but it kind of felt like when you recommend a book to a friend - hey, I liked this. You should check this out. I did end up getting The Kitchen Front from Libby later. I’m not finished with it, but I’ll give it a polite three out of five at this point, but I am loathe to give any book lower than a two-and-a-half. I have to admit, I was expecting a few more questions aimed at me from the librarian, but we had a lovely conversation about book clubs and that’s all I can ask for, personally.

Comments

  1. It seems like they should have asked a bit more in depth questions about what exactly you are looking for in the genre and what exactly you like about it that gets you to keep reading. I may suggest going to other librarians and seeing what else they may be able to provide in what you are looking for in the future in hopes of finding something new.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts